Friday 17 July 2020

Jurassic Cliffs, Dorset

Jurassic Cliffs : oil on canvas, c.Janet Driver

All my oil paintings are painted layer upon layer, gradually, over time, sometimes taking several weeks from the initial underpainting to the final strokes of colour...

but painting these cliffs seemed to make me even more at one with the vast centuries during which these cliffs have been slowly changed and eroded by rain, wind, waves, baking hot sun, ice & snow...

I decided to paint the rocky texture of these ancient cliffs using palette knives, so that I could drag one colour over another ...but what about the sea and sky ?
I had to experiment on practice oil-painting paper to try various techniques... then worked outwards from the cave into the waves, then up towards the horizon ... then I working on the clouds and down towards the sea...
it was very different from painting with a brush
and quite exhilarating...

Don’t forget... I am now changing from ‘a picture a day’ during lockdown
into a few paintings on a theme 
once a week or fortnight

...I will be back again next Tuesday or Wednesday...

NB please add your email
if you would like an automatic email notification 
whenever I post something new...

No comments:

Post a Comment