Sunday 3 February 2019

Candlemass

This painting in a small side-chapel seemed to jump out at me... but who was this elderly man looking so lovingly down at the baby ?
At first I thought the artist was following the tradition that Joseph was quite elderly...but then its more ususal to have a “Madonna & Child” painting, rather than “Joseph & child “... 
Who was this loving father/ grandfather?
But as I allowed myself to be quietly absorbed into the painting that question faded away...
the artist had something far more profound and timeless to communicate...


before leavingthe chapel, some timelater, my curiosity returned...tiny print on the frame revealed this was Simeon recognising Jesus as the Messiah...painted here in the Cameroon, with Simeon, Anna, Mary & Joseph...each in their own way regarding Jesus with awe.
St Luke 2 v 21- 38


No comments:

Post a Comment